I’ve tried a few different stuffed peppers recipes and this one is probably my favorite.
Here are some adjustments I made to this recipe:
- I added a couple cloves of chopped garlic
- I used turkey sausage. When I used two sausage links I felt like it needed more “meat to veggie” ratio so I ended up using 4 links, instead of 2. This actually made enough extra stuffing for 2 or 3 more peppers.
A couple notes**
Using instant rice is a MUST so that the rice cooks all the way through.
If you have extra stuffing and not enough peppers, just stick the rest of the stuffing in the dish and bake it. The stuffing is delicious enough to eat it on it’s own!
- 4 peppers (I used a variety of colors)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- The tops of the 4 peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup instant rice
- 1 medium can diced tomatoes
- 3 Italian sausages
- 1 tsp steak spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- About 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Cut the top off of the 4 peppers, clean out the innards, and place into a dish that will hold them all tightly.
- Into a frying pan, squeeze out the sausage from the casing, and saute with the onions, diced peppers and carrots until well cooked (I didnt add garlic, and after eating them I might add a clove or two next time).
- Add the can of tomatoes, rice and spices and mix to combine all ingredients.
- Scoop into the peppers, press well and fill to the top.
- Cover in tinfoil, bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with cheese and cook for another 15 min.