Have left over veggies, feta and chicken from your Greek Salad? Add them to a pita with this Tzaziki sauce and you have another delicious and healthy meal! In college there was a restaurant downtown called Pita Pit that was popular amongst students. It was so yummy and always open late. That was where my love for pitas truly began! So if you’ve never had a pita before, give it a try! Pitas are great because you can add anything you want…bacon, cheese, mushrooms, peppers…the list goes on! Tzaziki sauce is most popularly paired with pitas as well. It is a cool and creamy Greek sauce. Make sure you make this sauce ahead of time because it really needs to sit for 8 hours to let the flavors meld. This recipe makes a lot of sauce so you may want to cut it in half. Or if you have leftovers, it is also great as a dip with bread, pita chips, or veggies!
- 1 (32 ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber with peel, grated
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Stir together yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add lemon zest, dill, salt, and pepper; whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a serving dish, cover tightly, and refrigerate 8 hours before serving.