I know I promised to share recipes for healthy meals and I know cake does not fall under that category BUT I’m making an exception. Cake in a Jar is just too great not to share! It makes a perfect gift for anybody,on any occasion. I made this particular batch of cake to send in my husband’s care package. Cake in a Jar is super easy to make! A couple important things to remember when making this:
1. STERILIZE your jars and lids. This is to eliminate any bacteria that may spoil your cake.
2. SEAL your lids right when you take your cake out of the oven. It needs to be hot so that the lids will properly seal (you’ll hear them pop).
BASIC CAKE IN A JAR
- Wide mouth pint-size canning jars (you can use 1/2 pint and larger…it just takes experimenting with the amount of batter and length of baking time) and lids.
- Cake mix and/or recipe. You can use pretty much any recipe, just watch the cooking time.
- The ingredients to complete the cake mix (eggs, oil, water, etc.) or the ingredients for the recipe…duh!
- Stock pot for sterilizing jars
- Cookie sheet (to bake them on)
- Skewer to check for doneness
- Preheat oven to 325
- Sterilize jars while you mix up the cake batter
- Remove jars and let dry, then grease with butter, shortening, etc.
- Place 1 cup of batter into each pint jar
- Wipe rims clean
- Place on a cookie sheet and put the jars into the oven
- Sterilize your lids while your cakes are baking
- Bake for about 45 minutes (you need to watch it around 35 minutes, based on how your oven cooks and which recipe you use)
- Remove cakes from oven, dry lids, and place lids on cakes
- You will start hearing them pop and seal